Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Pockets of Blue

I was teaching a class yesterday, and upon casually glancing out the window I was pleasantly surprised.  I saw a bit of blue in the sky.  Too bad I was stuck inside a building teaching.  Oh well.

The following is a nod to all English teachers out there:

Teaching English is a tough task.  I've realized that English is a very poetic language; it does not follow any structure many times.  Rules are broken.  Exceptions are made.  It does not make sense.  I've noticed this more and more these last couple of days as I've tried to teach English to my students.

In one class, I was teaching the past tense.  We were working on turning verbs into the simple past.  So, I would write a verb on the board and ask the class to tell me the simple past.  Then we would change a present tense sentence into the past tense.  As questions came at me, I tried my best to explain the many variances of past tense verbs in the English language.  At the end, I asked, "Does this make sense?"  The class responded by saying, "Yes."  IF, if, if, they were telling the truth and did truly understand what we were working on, I thought in my head, "Good, then maybe you can explain it to me.  This language does not make sense at all."

Anyways, good times so far.  English teaching has been a good experience thus far (3 days in).  I'm still exploring my town.  I like it so far.  Tonight and this weekend I'm going into Ilsang (a suburb of Seoul that is quite a bit larger than the town I'm in).  Should be fun.

No comments: