Monday, July 14, 2008

Just in Korea

Just arriving in Korea, the first thing I notice is the grayness of life.  And what I mean by that is the lack of a dynamic visual experience.

The sky.  From what I've seen so far, and from what I've heard, the sky is never blue.  It is in a perpetual state of gray.  I'm guessing this is appearantly a result of the combination of the natural weather and pollution.  I could be wrong; that is just my speculating inference.  I still have hope that it is not always gray; maybe it is a seasonal thing (maybe the "perpetual" state of gray exists during this time of the year only).  For Korea is approaching its monsoon season. Maybe that is why it is so gray.

The architecture.  Wow.  And when I say wow I mean: while impressive in its conformity, the lack of any character in individual buildings is depressing.  The skyline of Incheon (the only major city I've seen so far) and that of Paju (the city I live in) is very dull.  Once you've seen one building, you've seen them all.  Imagine the suburbs in America.  Instead of being built horizontally, as in America, the suburbs here are built vertically...tall residential buildings all built in conformity.

Anywho, despite the dominant visual grayness of life here, there are some reliefs.  I've seen nice green spaces.  Hills abound.  The streets are lined with trees.  Its not all bad.  In fact, I woudn't even say it is mostly bad.  Merely that the grayness is the first impression, and unfortunately it is not the most exciting first impression.

But, I look forward to experiencing many more impressions from South Korea.  And now for a cheesy closer....and I hope you join me in experiencing those impressions, too.

No comments: